Monday, August 1, 2011

For This Reason Were You Saved

Children's curiosity has no limits.  When I was young, I would follow every statement with "why?"  I was born with the desire to know the reasons why to every question, every situation, and every problem.  

I'm still this way.

I was blessed to have a friend move back into the area after almost a year, and as a result we have spent hours talking, just catching up.  As we spoke, he told me of times in his life where his life has been saved.  In situations where many would have died.  I knew that this was no coincidence.  It's not just luck.  There must be a reason why he was saved, when so many are not.  

I then began to turn  to my life.  Last summer, I left the office where I work with enough time to get to an appointment I had in Vienna.  The distance between the starting point and the ending location was great enough that I had to take I-66 to Vienna.  It was about 4 PM, and rush hour had not yet quite begun and because I was not in any particular hurry, I went the speed limit (which is a rare occurrence for anyone in the DC Metro area).  I was about to my exit, when a car sped diagonally, just barely missing the front end of my car.  I honked and then to my horror I witnessed the vehicle cross two or three more lanes of traffic, speed off the road, onto a hill and into a huge tree.  After I caught my breath, I pulled to the side of the road, as did many.  The car was crushed into the side of the tree and the driver was trapped.  A few brave men tried to pry the door open with no success.  I stood, confused and befuddled as firemen, paramedics, and policemen pulled onto the scene.  I left after giving a statement.  As I turned on my engine, I began to quietly sob.  If I had left even a second earlier, had I pushed on the gas pedal just a little more, I would have been crushed between the now totaled car and the tree.  I will never comprehend why I walked away with my life that day.  That was not luck.  That was divine intervention.  

I want a concrete answer.  I want someone to say, "For this reason were you saved."  None of us may know why we were alive before we die.  Maybe the purpose behind my life has already been accomplished.  Until I know, I will be on pins and needles.  

1 comment:

  1. So grateful you were saved from tragedy. Our family would not be complete without Kenzi Lynn! I need you Mackenzie. You are a bright spot in my life and I'm grateful to have you for my niece.

    ReplyDelete