Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Blessings of Revelation, Part 2

I could write a whole post on all the wonderful packets of spiritual inspiration I received from the talks of the afternoon session of General Conference today.  However, I feel the need to focus on just one talk:  Elder Holland's inspired counsel.  

Mental health and mental illness are topics that are not discussed openly in the Church.  In fact, there are many in the Church who are misinformed and lacking in education regarding these topics.  In addition, as far as I know, there has never been a talk given in General Conference about mental illness.  As many of you know, I was diagnosed with anorexia at age 12 and major depressive disorder (MDD as Elder Holland referred to it) shortly thereafter.  I was silent for decades about my struggles, but remembered that when in the midst of all of it, what I wanted most was someone who had been through it to give me hope.  Elder Holland provided the world today with that hope.  Though he did mention that he struggled with a bout of depression, that was not the ultimate source of hope he offered.  The hope he referred to comes from our Savior Jesus Christ who suffered everything so that we can have the ability to rise above everything.  Elder Holland expressly stated that there is much to cherish and look forward to in this life.  Life is precious and we should look forward to the day when we will be made whole and perfect.  He said, "Believe in miracles."  

My life is a miracle.  

I have endured many trials surrounding my depression and eating disorder, some surrounding those who simply do not understand the challenges, and blessings (for there are many blessings) that come with mental health problems.  However, I testify to you that the one thing that got me through those dark and hopeless decades, was looking to the ceramic model of the Salt Lake Temple I had in my room every morning as I awoke.  The Book of Mormon tells us to, "Look to God and live."  Certainly I looked to the House of the Lord, and literally lived.  I look forward to the day when I can enter His Holy House and reap the blessings of living with my "eye single to the glory of God."

Fellow bloggers, friends, family: this talk was an answer to my fervent prayers.  It was my personal epistle.  I never knew that my prayers could be answered so directly in General Conference. 

To those who doubt that life with depression or any other mental illness can be enjoyable or worth living, take this counsel given by Jeffrey R. Holland:

"Above all, never lose faith in your Father in Heaven, who loves you more than you can comprehend."

Life is worth living, even if just for the beautiful tulips that peek through the harsh winter snow, or for the crisp leaves that begin to change one-by-one rather than all at once.  Maybe joy comes from the cool sea breeze coming from the ocean, or the beautiful sunsets that come on late summer days.  I know that God's creations were created to bring us happiness and hope.  They were made just for us.  

Elder Holland went on to say not to place judgment on those struggling, rather to show them kindness, love, and hope.  I would add that we who suffer need to do those things for ourselves as well.  Have faith and take heart that you are not alone.  You are loved.

Take care, my loved ones.  And, never doubt the power of prayers, both uttered and in our hearts.  Heavenly Father knows us.  He loves us.  He blesses us.  He yearns for our happiness.

May God bless you in all your righteous endeavors.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, Mackenzie, I was equally touched by this profound and needed message, and appreciate your beautiful response to it. Thank you. Your faith is an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete