Monday, May 16, 2011

Risky Living

Yep, this week I lived on the edge.  I jumped off the cliff called Comfortable.  I approached people and was honest.  I initiated conversations and even asked friends to do things with me.  Crazy, huh?  

Some people came out of the womb being able to talk freely and openly without much thought.  Not me.  I'm not quite sure I was born doing much more than crying--no joke.  I have to remember that the rejections I label as "failed attempts" may turn out to be for the better.  When I first moved home from BYU for medical treatment (failed attempt) I e-mailed the supervisor I worked under the summer before.  I love that summer.  I was an intern with an organization that operates 3 homeless shelters.  Talk about developing self efficacy!  When she responded, she said I was not needed and that I should look into volunteering at one of the shelters.  Another failed attempt.  Well, the months rolled by and I was accepted to GMU and started to practice risky living.  No, not becoming a sleezy druggie, but realizing that failed attempts come from being stuck in a world that is too small or too uncomfortable.  I began to attend a a single's ward where I knew nobody.  3 months later, I have a calling and know 2/3rds of the people there, and better yet, people know me!  I applied to a more diverse university that had the major I was really interested in and was accepted.  About a month ago I received an e-mail from my aforementioned supervisor.  She applauded my work last summer and was wondering if I would work with the organization again.  Godsend!  Back in November, soon after I e-mailed her, I had to be admitted to the hospital and that wouldn't have been ideal for an internship position.  Now, 6 months later, I have overcome so much and am now able to devote my time and attention to the things I love.  Miracle!

After that long-winded message, the point I mean to drive home is...

Don't Settle for Easy and Comfortable.  Take Risks and Though They May Seem Like Failures at First, You May Be Surprised at How Things Turn Out...For Better of For Worse.

 

4 comments:

  1. Great message Kenz! As usual, you wrote just what I needed to read today! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. So much. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) we'll have to figure out how to get my skype working in this darn apartment!

    ReplyDelete