Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Challenge: Day 1


“I testify that no one of us is less treasured or cherished of God than another. I testify that He loves each of us- insecurities, anxieties, self- image, and all. He doesn’t measure our talents or our looks;...He cheers on every runner, calling out that the race is against sin, not against each other.”
-Jeffrey R. Holland-

The Body Image Challenge.  The first few days ease you into it.  Not too scary.  

DAY 1: GET STARTED

I made the goal for the next 10 days to not obsess over my body.  

STEP 1:  Don't step on the scale.
STEP 2:  Don't obsess in the mirror

And, I am sure the steps will continue to grow as I realize what I do to beat myself up.  

So, the theme for Day 1 was to journal about the challenge and your body.  Specifically to express gratitude for your body and all it can do.  Here are some thoughts:
  • Bodies are gifts of God.  They are NOT our own.  They are paid with the innocent blood of Christ.
  • Bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost.  Keep them worthy of such.
  • Both of the previous bullets lead me to believe that not taking care of our bodies through adequate nutrition, exercise, and love are forms of disrespect.  Additionally, if we hate our bodies, is that an environment conducive to the Spirit?
  • Bodies are incredible.  For one, they allow us to experience joy.  They are the greatest gift we will receive in mortality.  
  • I am grateful for my body because it allows me to run, jump, skip, and twirl.  
  • I am grateful for my body because it recovers quickly.  I have had nearly 10 sprains on one ankle (more if we count both).  Gratefully, I have avoided surgery because my body recovers quickly.
  • I am grateful for my eyes.  I don't know what I would do if I couldn't witness the beauty of God's creations.  Another plus: they are a beautiful shade of blue.
  • I am grateful for beauty.  My mother relayed a story from her mission to Taiwan that I feel is pertinent:  
My mother was on splits with a member of the ward in which she was serving.  They were visiting a woman who had set a baptismal date.  As they were discussing a specific lesson, the investigator asked, "How can I love a God who created some people ugly and some people beautiful?"  The ward member confidently bore witness that all God's creations are beautiful.  It is us imperfect beings who create judgments on God's creations.


I will close by saying that I wish everyone could see their beauty.  Truly God creates nothing that is ugly.  We cannot and should not rate or rank God's creations, of which we are supreme.  

No comments:

Post a Comment