Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hope


“People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.”
~Elisabeth Kubler-Ross~


For my graduation gift in 2008, my parents took me (and all my siblings) to France because I studied French for 5 years and took the AP exam (please, don't ask me what I got on it).  We had the great opportunity to visit Paris for a few days.  My dear friend Julie Jacquet, practically a French-native, told me all the great, less visited spots that we should make an effort to see.  Naturally, we wanted to visit the Notre Dame and Julie told us we should take a moment to see the back of it.  Boy was Julie right!  It was gorgeous.  And, might I argue to say even more gorgeous in its hidden beauty than the front.  The first picture is the back of the Notre Dame from the back as we were walking away.  The second picture is one one of many stained-glass windows in the Notre Dame.  I like to think it is the same window that is seen from the back of the cathedral.

This stained glass window is much more gorgeous in the dark.  What makes it even more beautiful is to think that it is rarely seen from the outside, as people don't think to look at the back of the cathedral.

This brings me comfort as for the past few days I have been struggling with the "darkness" I am living through right now, especially when I think that I am unnoticed.  As I write this post, I realize that it is the unseen that is appreciated.  It is what is treasured.  We all need to make sure our light shines its brightest in the dark so we can be the light at the end of tunnel for someone else.  We can be a source of someone else's hope.

I had the great opportunity to visit a dear family friend who just had her first baby two months ago today!  I gleaned hope from her.  I was able to hold her infant son and rock him to sleep.  I have always had the desire to be a mother.   I was 4, almost 5, when my brother was born.  I would lay with him on his blanket and play with him.  On one specific occasion, my mother picked him up to feed him.  I yelled at her, "Mom, you think this baby is yours.  But it's not!"  Needless to say, I have always looked forward to the day when I can have children of my own.  I am well aware of the hard work it is, but I earnestly look forward to the day when I can spend the early hours of the morning holding my child and helping him (or her) sleep.  I look forward to moments when I will be able to watch the sun set and rise all while calming a fussy baby.

This is my source of hope.

Well, I still need to finish blogging my Body Image Challenge experiences.  Believe me, I will.  The last day was amazingly powerful.  I think you'll believe so too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment