Friday, October 1, 2010

We All Suck

I love the weekends.  I especially love the weekends because I can be reunited with my social life. :)  For the past couple weekends, I have been able to have insightful conversations with friends and family.  That's where the title for this post comes from.  I had a friend and mentor tell me today, "We all suck.  It just depends on who we ask."  He then went on to explain that (hopefully) his mom would say he's wonderful.  But if he were to ask his ex-girlfriend he would get a totally different impression of himself.  

The truth is we all impact people.  For better or for worse, we impact people.  After giving our best effort, we have little choice as to whether or not someone will like who we are.  I'm glad that is the case.  If everyone liked me and said what I wanted to hear I would go cRaZy!  Don't get me wrong, I love a little validation here and there, but I need someone to tell me when I am rude and that my outfit is not that flattering on me.  We can all learn so much from others' opinions.  We all have something to offer to others.

I have always been a proponent of wanting people to believe they are wonderful and love-able.  While this is true, we cannot have the false notion that everyone will love us and think about how wonderful we are.  That is just unrealistic!  When someone tells us we've hurt them, we cannot be paralyzed by the idea.  Instead, we must learn to work on our faults while at the same time having realistic expectations.  So is life.  

When I have more time I will write about the amazing and sacred experience I had last night listening to Stephanie Nielson speak.  Just to get you thinking about the topics she addressed, watch this:


Hope you have a fabulous weekend and enjoy Conference!

No comments:

Post a Comment